Scheme7
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Towards Scheme7 0.2

Go down

Towards Scheme7 0.2 Empty Towards Scheme7 0.2

Post  maximinus Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:47 pm

Now that 0.1 is done, the new goals for 0.2 are:

Re-factor and tidy up the code. *DONE*
Improve the way we render everything. *DONE*
Sort out world wrapping properly. *DONE*
Make the bullet collisions more accurate. *DONE* (1)
Add animations for explosions. *DONE*
Add sounds for engine thrust and bullets. *DONE*
Add enemy shooters. *DONE*
Add a better level. *DONE*
Improve the level editor and integrate it.

As always, this post will be updated by putting *DONE* after an item when complete.

(1) Turns out - so far, at least - that this is not needed

Last edited by maximinus on Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:21 pm; edited 7 times in total
maximinus
maximinus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Towards Scheme7 0.2 Empty Re: Towards Scheme7 0.2

Post  maximinus Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:54 am

There's a strong case for putting 'resolution independant graphics' in that list as well, it depends on how fast this workload goes, to be honest.

I'm hoping to have v0.2 out by the end of July, maybe earlier if I'm lucky.
maximinus
maximinus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  maximinus Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:42 pm

maximinus wrote:I'm hoping to have v0.2 out by the end of July, maybe earlier if I'm lucky.

Consider I only released 0.1 yesterday and I've already ticked off 3 of the items, it's looking good so far!
maximinus
maximinus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  maximinus Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:05 pm

Code development is going so fast that there's a small chance of 0.2 by the end of the week!
maximinus
maximinus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  maximinus Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:46 pm

A revised version 0.1 (SVN revision 71) is up on the Sourceforge download page.
maximinus
maximinus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  maximinus Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:59 am

Ok, so the only outstanding thing is the world wrapping code. I had a good look into this, and basically, it comes down to:

Both the Python libs we could use (Pymunk or box2D) do not support world wrapping.
There exists a patch for the C code of Pymunk.
There exist hacks in both libraries to acheive the effect we need.

So, my choices at this point were:

1: Patch pymunk. This would leave uses having to build their own chipmunk library and force me to mantain the patch against chipmunk upgrades.

2: Use some hacky way to get world wrapping.

3: Don't have world wrapping in the game.

After some thought, it seems to me that world wrapping is not an essential part of the game or the gameplay experience, and I do not feel good either forcing users to patch the C code or using a hacky method to get what we want. Therefore, I will drop world wrapping from the game.

The only change noticable to the player is that they will start INSIDE the cavern or cave, rather than outside it, and leaving the cave will also mean leaving the level (similar to the way that the player leaves the map i the game Descent).

This will all be implemented in v0.2, which should be out by next week (with a pinch of luck).
maximinus
maximinus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  maximinus Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:19 pm

Right now I'm only really able to write code on Mondays: so here's a little update of code so far:

I've been working on the parser for the the level data. This has also made me think a lot more about how the game engine works, and so before it gets too big I've spent the last few updates re-factoring the code.
I've also split out the pymunk code so that in the future, if we ever need to, it can easily be replaced with something like box2d.

All of this has, of course, made almost no effect to the game itself silent

Any new features that I will put into the game from this point on will also be in the parser code, that is, if I add feature X then it will be editable from the scheme level file with immediate effect. I'm doing this because I feel that content creation, in particular level creation, must be made as easy as possible.

So, to finish 0.2, I've added the following tasks:

Re-factore the code *80% done*
Extract and encapsulate the physics engine *DONE*
Add a parser *DONE*
All level details are taken from the level file
One - very - basic level complete and playable.
maximinus
maximinus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  maximinus Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:58 pm

Actually had a couple of hours to experiment, and the parser will use introspection of python classes to read the level data; which should make adding extra items / things to the parser really easy (just define a new object in a file and the parser will be able to read data for it).

EDIT: It's also reduced the size of the code by a reasonable amount Very Happy
maximinus
maximinus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  maximinus Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:48 pm

Finally, the parsing code is complete, so it's reasonably easy to just ádd stuff'to the level (or change the way things are handled) and the parser can keep up pretty easily, and still handle data errors.

Now I've decided that the world map will not wrap, I need to change the current code so that the way the player approaches the sides of the level will be handled in a slightly different way. That, and tidying up the level a little bit (some visual work to be done, nothing too hard just maybe a liitle time-consuming because I need a level editor rather than doing it by hand) will mean the completion of 0.2.

Any level editor improvments will now come in 0.3.
maximinus
maximinus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  maximinus Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:45 pm

To add to that last code - parsing code is never complete, as anybody whose ever written a parser will tell you Shocked - but it is now a lot MORE complete after a day of hacking.

I added some more details to the level, and now I just (!) need to add some more code so that I can use a name for an image in the level file and scheme will know what image to which you are referring (or animation, if needed).

I'm hoping that the final 0.2 Scheme7 (a bit more complex than originally planned) will take about 1 or perhaps 2 more weeks.

After that, v0.3 will really have to concentrate on the level editor to make level construction much easier. Also, 0.3 will take a look at using OpenGL as a rendering back-end as an optional extra.
maximinus
maximinus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  maximinus Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:17 am

Ok, all the code for version 0.2 that I specified is complete, but I am going to a few more more things that will make the current scheme playable:

Make the current enemy fire at you.
Make the level exit.

Hopefully, that shouldn't take more than a week and it will make the 0.2 release a lot better!
maximinus
maximinus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down