Scheme7
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Programming, maybe music/sfx

2 posters

Go down

Programming, maybe music/sfx Empty Programming, maybe music/sfx

Post  de Boom Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:37 am

Hi.

I found this project extremely interesting and wanted to contribute something. I haven't really looked through the code yet, but luckily it's still an early version and the sources are pretty small.

My programming experience is from the past 15 years, but there are long gaps of non-programming in there. Over the last year I learned Python and later ran into Pygame. I've dabbled in a lot of things over the past year but can't say I'd have mastered any. I'm reading about AI development and 3D graphics programming with OpenGL when I have spare time, but the necessary techniques with both are still very much at sandbox testing level for me.

On the music side, I haven't managed to get much of a studio set up after leaving the Windows environment some years ago, but I think it's not an impossible task. I could just set up the laptop with win xp for such a use, if there's a need.

de Boom

Back to top Go down

Programming, maybe music/sfx Empty Re: Programming, maybe music/sfx

Post  maximinus Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:02 pm

Hi de Boom

Thanks for posting. Of course, the main advice would be - download the SVN version, and get it running on your computer first. then take a look at the code and tell me what you think.

A list of jobs that need work can be found at https://scheme7.forumotion.com/general-discussion-f1/jobs-that-need-doing-t9.htm

BTW: Are you Dutch? Doesn't de boom mean tree? I lived in Flanders for a year and had to learn the language!
maximinus
maximinus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  de Boom Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:49 pm

Hi.

I've been playing around with the SVN release. The code looks ok - I have some sound issues but it might be just my sound card not playing along with pygame too well. One detail that I noticed was when you ram the ship to a wall. There's a rotation effect from the crash which is very cool, but it can't get removed in any reasonable way (only by re-crashing the ship at a good angle). The ship keeps on rotating around like it had just crashed even after you fly around a bit after the originating accident. I haven't checked the physics stuff in any detail yet, so I'll have to see about it later still. Smile

Oh, I'm not Dutch. I just thought the name sounded funny enough to use.

de Boom

Back to top Go down

Post  maximinus Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:28 am

de Boom wrote:One detail that I noticed was when you ram the ship to a wall. There's a rotation effect from the crash which is very cool, but it can't get removed in any reasonable way (only by re-crashing the ship at a good angle). The ship keeps on rotating around like it had just crashed even after you fly around a bit after the originating accident. I haven't checked the physics stuff in any detail yet, so I'll have to see about it later still. Smile

Yep - it's a bit annoying I agree. One way to fix this would be to dampen the rotational velocity. Actually I though that this could actually be a cheap first upgrade. After all, a real pilot wouldn't crash into the wall in the first place, would they? Razz
maximinus
maximinus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum