Scheme7
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Installing Pymunk - Ubuntu 10.04

Go down

Installing Pymunk - Ubuntu 10.04 Empty Installing Pymunk - Ubuntu 10.04

Post  maximinus Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:34 pm

How to get pyMunk working on Ubuntu 10.04

This guide is intended to show you how to get started with the 2D physics engine Chipmunk in your pygame program. I don't assume much knowledge but you do need to know how to open a terminal and use it to a small degree.

Step 1: Install everything you need.

Firstly, I'm assuming you have Pygame installed (this is easily from Synaptic, go to System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package manager, search for Pygame and install the python-pygame package). Next (the slightly harder part) you'll need to download the Chipmunk C libs from http://files.slembcke.net/chipmunk/release/ChipmunkLatest.tgz. Extract the files somewhere. To build the libraries needs a little extra work: I found that the directory contained a whole bunch of ._* files; to remove these, open a terminal, go to the Chipmunk-5.2.0 directory and enter this command:

find . -type f -name "._*" -exec rm -rvf {} \;

Then we can easily build and test the basic engine with:

cmake .
make
./Demo/chipmunk_demos

The next step is to install the python wrapper. So, again, go grab the files from http://pymunk.googlecode.com/files/pymunk-1.0.0.zip, extract the files somewhere, cd to the directory and enter this command to install everything correctly. It might have to grab a small file from the internet, but otherwise you should have no problems.

sudo python setup.py install

To finally test the whole thing, run this:

python ./examples/bouncing_balls.py

If this runs, you are good to go!
Very Happy
maximinus
maximinus
Admin

Back to top Go down